Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Psalm 83:1
O God, do not keep silent; be not quiet, O God, be not still,

Learning to be at rest is not easy. To quote a popular saying, "It is a process."

I don't really like to hear things like, "It is a process", "Think outside the box", "We need a paradigm shift", "It will just take time".

I think I will have to "stay put" on the verse for awhile. Does that ever happen to you? You read a short verse of scripture and you just know that this verse is short in words but not short in message.

I've started digging on this one just today. Three words are calling out to me.

1. Silent
2. Quiet
3. Still

SILENT - Hebrew word (d-m-m II) maybe derived from (d-m-m I) (1954)
silence, rest:-rest, silent

QUIET - Hebrew word (hares) (3087)
to be silent, be quiet; to become deaf; to be quiet, say nothing, be silent; to make no moves, keep silent:- silent, quiet, says nothing, deaf, altogether silent, fail to speak, holds tongue, keeps silent, kept quiet, made no move, reduce to silence, remain silent, said no more, say nothing, saying nothing, says nothing, still, stop, turn a deaf ear, without saying a word.

STILL- Hebrew word (saqaf) (9200)
to be at rest, be at peace, remain calm, quietness, unconcerned

My first research into Psalm 83 has been reading the commentary in my study Bible and at this website - http://www.easyenglish.info/psalms/psalm083-taw.htm.

First impression:
Think I have a long way to go on this one. The meanings that have struck a cord with me are in bold above.

I am still focusing on "being still" but I need to understand the three words: silent, quiet, and still in the context of Psalm 83.

No comments:

Post a Comment