Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cause to be still - A Choice

Zechariah 2:13 - Be still before the LORD, all mankind, because he has roused himself from His holy dwelling.

Nehemiah 8:11 - The Levites calmed all the people, saying, "Be still, for this is a sacred day. Do not grieve."

Just a note - When you read a verse, please make sure you stop long enough to read the verses before and after the verse you are targeting. If you don't, you just wind up taking the verse out of context and then you will miss what the Holy Spirit is trying to teach you. My lesson for the day with a particular passage of scripture may not be your lesson. Read passages allowing the Holy Spirit to direct your thinking/pondering.

The Hebrew word in the two verses above is "has" (2187) which leads to "hasa" (2188).

The meanings - Silence! Quiet! Hush! be silent, be still, hush, quiet, silence; to silence, cause to be still: - silenced.

I noticed that the first three definitions were capitalized and had an exclamation point following them. I have a friend who teaches high school English. Whenever she is at Sunday School I hit her up for grammar lessons. Those first three words are not just telling someone to do something, they are COMMANDS.

I think if Zechariah was standing beside me and told me to be still because the LORD had roused himself from His holy dwelling I would BE STILL. I mean, HELLO, the LORD is moving and His man tells me to BE STILL. I'm going to BE STILL. I wonder how many times I miss hearing God telling me, "be still child, hush child, quiet now child". And because I miss those words I get to hear, "Silence! Quiet! Hush!".

I said this would ramble and this is my study so the next verse just really touches my heart. Ezra had opened the book - the word of the LORD - and then the Levites had been instructing the people in the LAW, "making it clear and giving the meaning so that the people could understand what was being read". The people had been weeping as they listened to the Word. Isnt' that just like us, sometimes when we read the Word of God we just weep. Sometimes because we are rejoicing and sometimes because we are grieving because of sin. But here all of their leaders are telling them, stop that crying, be still, and they went on to tell them to celebrate. In the midst of their grief they were to be happy.

My family lost a precious man last September. My father passed away. Yep I still grieve, I still cry, I truly miss him. I miss him answering the telephone and saying, "Hello daughter" or "Hello middle girl" or "Hi Rebecca". The last one was fun because my name is NOT Rebecca. He named me "Beckie" with an "ie" or so my momma tells me.

Anyway, I can still my grief when I remember that my father is with THE FATHER, my father is whole, my father may just be fishing or gardening or sewing a beautiful cross stitch piece, or he may just be singing with the heavenly choir praising our Lord. I can smile when I think of that.

So I will cause myself to hush my grief for a moment and be still and thank my LORD for His mercies being new every morning. And I will go forward this day with my eyes wide open to see where HE is working since He has roused himself from His Holy Dwelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment